painting-bathroom-faucets

Painting Faucets (and painted floor progress!)

know most of you have seen this, but since one of the projects I’m currently working on that which involves Rusteoleum isn’t completed (something for the bathroom wall but like I’ve said…this entire project is forever due to time constraints.) , I thought I’d share my faucet project again AND A FLOOR UPDATE at the bottom of this post!
We’re keeping the pedestal sink. It’s pretty. It’s in like-new condition although I’m certain it is fairly old and I kind of like that it has a history. It stays until big dream-remodel occurs. However the faucets presented a dilemma. Look at the set up. One faucet for cold. A separate faucet for hot. Washing hands is a challenge. It requires a back and forth motion between faucets or hoping that the hot water isn’t instant. Or, using the stopper and filling the basin to get a sink full of warm water. I imagine original home owners used it that way. I looked to replace them…but I didn’t have any luck in finding separate hot/cold faucets. Now I’m kind of glad that I didn’t.
The old faucets are solid and silver. I’m guessing these things are old. I tried looking them up. They say “volverwine”. There is an old “Wolverine” brand. ? They’re heavy and the quality is awesome. I however want oil rubbed bronze to match other fixtures in the room. I decided that my old trusty favorite DIY magic transformation technique (spray painting) was the answer.


I
tested the process on a gold brassy door stop. I loved the results. This is my all time favorite spray painting project so far!

I sanded all surfaces of the faucets, drain and metal parts and chain for the plug. I used a 3M sanding block and even an emery board to get every single area. I made sure I got all areas nice and scuffed up.

(At this point…they looked beautiful and polished. I almost backed out but I felt like silver faucets and oil rubbed bronze everywhere else just didn’t “go together”. I found the courage to move on. I think it was when I dreamt of wearing brown boots with black pants.)

I washed and dried them and I taped off the areas I didn’t want painted and put the knobs in the “off” position so I wouldn’t gum up the opening/closing function.

I start by painting the underneath and sides. Each piece got a couple of lightly sprayed coats of Rustoelum Primer in “rust”. I let each coat dry at least 8 hours before applying another. Once the underside was done, I flipped and did the top and sides.

I used a piece of packing styrofoam to hold them upright.

I followed the same steps for the oil rubbed bronze spray paint. (Upside down and sides = light coats, then flip and top and sides = light coats). Once that was dry…


I used a high gloss lacquer and the same steps. It’s been drying for about a week. It’ll probably two weeks by the time all is said and done and ready for installation. Plenty of time to cure. The sink isn’t back in place but I can’t wait to see them!
This piece was easier painted when hanging. After: Here is it against the porcelain: I LOVE how they turned out. What do you think? The finish is very hard and durable. The faucets open/close without any issues. And now they match the door knobs and light fixtures. I’m happy!

I used: Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer Rustoleum Metallic Brilliant Metal Finish (oil rubbed bronze) Lacquer Hi-Gloss (for metal) I did at least two coats of the primer and ORB then quite a few of the lacquer. I stayed back about 9-12 inches to keep the spray even and to prevent runs. More information on painting faucets here: http://www.ehow.com/how_4703257_refinish-bathroom-faucets.html

And I’ve been sharing a few steps as I complete them so here is the latest. I hope to have this room finished before 2010! I’m waiting for this to dry so I can begin touch up and stenciling. Then the last step of polyurethane. I can’t wait to get the trim back up. One step closer to total completion!

What I haven’t decide
d is – if I’m going to keep the bold espresso stripes and do the stencil in the espresso for a dramatic contrast or stick to my original plan of using a lighter gray instead for a lighter more neutral style. The part that looks white in pictures is actually BM’s Smoke Embers which is on the same color swatch as what used on the wall stripes, Nimbus and Light Pewter) Decisions. Decisions.

Update: 2013 and the faucets (going on 4 years later) are still holding up!

38 thoughts on “Painting Faucets (and painted floor progress!)

click to read what friends are saying...


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>