As a member of the Lowe’s Creative Ideas team, I participate in monthly DIY challenges. The challenge I chose for July is DIY decor with a DIY wall mounted lantern hanger.
Materials I used:
- 1/2 x 6 x 2 red oak craft board
- RustOleum Ultimate Wood Stain (color is kona)
- RustOleum Ultimate Polyurethane (matte finish)
- 3 black extendable curtain rod brackets
- 3/4 wood screws
- hanging hardware (or screws and anchors to more permanently attach to the wall/for extra security)
- 3 lanterns (Allen + Roth lanterns)
- candles or small potted succulents/plants
Here’s what I did:
1. Stain the wood plank by brushing stain on in the direction of the wood grain, let sit a few minutes and wipe away (same direction) with clean rags. Let dry one hour.
2. Apply a coat or two of polyurethane and let dry. It goes on with a milky look but dries transparent.
3. Attach hanging hardware to the back. I did two; one on each end.
4. Flip to the front stained side and attach the curtain rod brackets using 1/4″ screws (the screws that come with the brackets will be too deep). I measured and marked the center bracket first then measured the center from the edge to the center bracket on each side for the other two ‘hooks’.
5. Adjust the brackets to fit the depth of hanging a lantern on the hook.
6. Hang or secure to the wall.
7. Hang lanterns. Add candles, use as mini display cases to showcase your favorite small decorative items or use lanterns as mini-greenhouses for succulents or small plants.
I received a Lowe’s gift card to complete this challenge. Opinion and above idea is 100% my own. More DIY ideas at Lowe’s Creative Ideas or follow Lowe’s on Instagram, Pinterest and sign up for the Creative Ideas magazine and app.