As a part of the Michael’s Makers team, I have the opportunity to participate in monthly craft challenges. This month’s project is a DIY burlap and spool key keeper tutorial.
I don’t know about you but I LOVE craft supplies like cork, burlap, unfinished, twine, jute…all things “natural and earthy”. I feel like I could just start a collection of natural materials with no crafting plans…they’re all just so pretty! But since this isn’t blog isn’t titled “Hoard Show Off”, let’s get to the ‘how to’!
DIY Burlap and Spool Key (or jewelry) Keeper Tutorial
(Because we all have a habit of misplacing our keys on occasion, right? Some more than others. Ahem, “Mr. DIY”)
- stretched burlap canvas
- natural wood cutout (I chose a key but I saw the cutest bird cage cut out at Michael’s too)
- cork letter
- wooden spools
- twine and scissors
- optional: acrylic craft paint (black) and foam paint brush
- hot glue and hot glue gun
- picture hanging hardware or 3M strips
What I did:
1. Paint the accessories and let dry. I painted the wooden key decal and spools black.
2. Wind twine around spool. Cut twine and secure with hot glue.
3. Attach accessories (wooden key decal, cork monogram and spools) to stretched burlap frame using hot glue.
4. Hang and display near door. I nestled mine inside of a regular picture frame.
Keep keys within easy reach or hang in a in closet, the bedroom or bathroom for hanging necklaces, beads, bracelets, hair ties, etc.
It doesn’t get much easier than that, does it? Perfect for your own home (and sanity) or a great handmade housewarming gift idea.
On August 8th, you’ll find these and MORE fun accessories at Michael’s new “Raw Bar”. Tons of unfinished, natural craft supplies for your next DIY craft project.
I’m a member of the Michael’s Makers team which means I receive a gift card to complete and share fun craft challenges.
See MORE ‘raw’ crafts from these blog friends: