Our family loves outdoor get-togethers when the weather cooperates and it’s the start of BBQ season around here. With the help of Miracle-Gro (a sponsored event), I’m planning a fun family backyard BBQ for Mother’s Day.
I’m using The Gro Project to ensure growing success. Have I mentioned I do NOT have a green thumb? I’ve always heard that gardening can be fun, easy and enjoyable and this is the perfect opportunity to “grow” as a gardener with a gardening expert holding my hand.
They have a few really cute and fun garden projects to inspire some growing-creativity:
- Toyrarium (this looks like SO much fun…digging in the dirt with little ones!)
- Ukelele Garden (fun for a luau themed party)
- Origami Garden (so many custom color options)
Since I’m planning something special for Mother’s Day, I’ve decided on a beautiful creative container garden idea for the females in our family. Our thrift stores/yard sales are filled with cheap brassy chandeliers and we’ve started collecting them. I’ll share more details and the DIY instructions soon but here’s a peek at our inspiration:
Thinking I might even add a small matching toyrarium planter for the 2 precious nieces and 1 adorable nephew (all under the age of 5) who will be in attendance as well. Doesn’t a gardening themed BBQ sound like a great time?
We will use Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix, ideal for container gardens – exclusive formula absorbs 33% more water than ordinary potting soil and protects against over and under watering! Which means…my project has an awesome chance of surviving! (Hellooooo, green thumb!) and the little ones will have a summer opportunity to take care of something they planted. Easy peasy!
Mr. DIY will control the BBQ tasks. Menu includes:
- BBQ/smoked ribs
- a vinegar-based coleslaw
- dill/red potato potato salad
- fresh brewed iced tea and mojitoes
- raspberry/lemon trifle
For more gardening tips and information:
- Scott’s Miracle-Gro online (video and article library)
- The Gro Project
- “LIKE” the Miracle-Gro Facebook page/timeline – a place for gardeners to come together and share gardening stories.
- Follow Miracle-Gro on Pinterest for more inspiration
Check back to see how our chandelier planters turn out! Can’t wait to show you!