This is our dining room light fixture before just doing it’s job.
But four years ago when we bought our home with this horror:
This quick fix was a big improvement: (and it’s not a bad light fixture, just not my style.)
We have plans to replace it someday when we have $$$ to spend on a light fixture our of dreams…whatever that may be. Maybe something like one of these…
I like lantern-type lighting but Mr. DIY, not so much. 🙁 We have one of these ($20 from Habitat Restore that I’m trying to convince him would look gorgeous (for the past year…)
But until then, I have to live with it and make it work. Here is how I disguised it for Christmas. You could switch it up depending on what you have on hand or with other thrifty baubles and treasures.
Add a grapevine wreath to to the underside. Securing with ribbon to the ‘things’ (arms?) that hold the upside-down shade (I’m really struggling for words tonight as I type this…don’t laugh. I hope you know what I mean).
Look! A giant bird’s nest hanging from the ceiling!
with newly hatched baby light bulbs…
I use these candelabras to decorate the top and add candles.
(found at an antique/junk store ~ I love Cappy’s!)
Add ornaments, hang ornaments from ribbon, add reindeer or Santa or elves or angels or Christmas trees, wreaths, festive candle rings, candles in different sizes…get creative.
Oh – In the fall, I add autumn leaves garland…
I know – there’s not much to think about, but I decided to post anyway in the event you have a light fixture that embarrasses you – I just wanted to show you…disguising it takes it from boring to wow!
DIY Show Off shout out to my daughter, Bri. Take a look at her beautiful tree!
“…and a peacock in a pine tree!!!!“
- You must use the button above in your blog post or side bar to share the linky love.
- Add your permalink (not your blog url, but your holiday project post url which is the web address that goes directly to your holiday project blog post, not your blog address). Feel free to link a Past Post, just be sure add the DIY Holiday Highlights button to your side bar.
- Or email your link to email@example.com and I will add it for you.
- If you notice your link has disappeared –please check the content of your post. Is it holiday related? Add the link back to The DIY Show Off to your post today with a quick note to your readers about the party and try again!
- SEE THE REGULAR DIY PROJECT PARADE HERE TO LINK UP NON-HOLIDAY RELATED POSTS (new party again Sunday, 12/4!)