Here is her post:
Retro Rocking Chair Re-Do
Where did I find this lovely?? Canton, TX of course. The best outdoor flea market ever.
How much did I pay? $40. Not back considering the potential this chair had! (potential I saw, and the hubby did not. He was like….”ewww”. But, he DID let me buy it!)
I LOVE THE LEGS on this chair. It’s what first caught my eye!
DO NOT be scared to re-upholster something! It’s a “figure it out as you go” kind of thing. Every piece of furniture is different. Just take it apart, and go for it!
First, I removed the seat cushion. It was simply screwed in on the bottom. Remove the screws, and then pull out the cushion.I had to have my hubby remove the seat back. Quite a bit of pulling and yanking was required.
I then lightly sanded the whole chair, with circular sander thingy (I know nothing about tools obviously….)
Sprayed it with some primer. (sanding and priming are optional, but make it look so much more finished!)
I then gave the chair a few coats of Krylon Black Satin (forgot to take a pic. sorry!)
Next I re-upholstered the seat cushion.
Here are the EASY steps to do this.
- Lay fabric on the floor, wrong side of fabric up.
- Go to opposite side of cushion and pull the fabric TIGHT and staple that side (ex: if you staple the left side of the cushion first, do the right side next)
- Finish stapling remaining 2 sides, making sure fabric is tight the whole time
- When you get to the corners, make sure you neatly fold the fabric
(kind of like wrapping a present)
I then tackled the padded seat back. There is really no right or wrong way to do it I discovered.
Here’s what I did:
- I re-covered the existing seat back using the same steps as above
- I made my own cording to go around the edge of the seat back using cord
(can buy at any craft store) and leftover fabric from this project.
- I stapled in the cording all around the seat back opening
- I then stapled the backing right below the cording (this chair has an open back, so you can see the fabric)
- Next, I stapled the seat back cushion in place.
- I rolled the lining up over the seat back and hot glued it down to hide all the staples (all 4 sides)
Here is the finished product!
(I made the little throw pillow too)
Close up of the fabric (that matches my master bedroom bedding PERFECTLY!!)
AFTERGREAT job, Sarah!!! It’s gorgeous! And it gives me hope! Thank you so much for sharing!!!
Sarah is a talented DIY’er! Head over to her blog,
to see more DIY projects. Here’s a sneak peek of her most recent too. Wow!
The rocker looks so great! What a difference. You lost me a little on redoing the back though. I wasn't sure what you meant by the lining and if you were talking about the seat back or the back of the seat back! Maybe I just need to have another cup of coffee and read it again! Great job! Oh and love the fabric on your sneak peak!
That is gorgeous!
It is amazing that you can see the superstar in that washed up has been piece. You have an uncanny way of looking beyond the very obvious and finding the true treasure! I would love this beautiful rocker in my home!
I just bought a chair for $7.99 at Goodwill and definitely needs this makeover!! You did such a nice job!
OMG! I can't even believe that is the same rocker! LOVE IT!
That is beautiful! Love the fabric choice!
thanks for featuring me Roeshel! You are the BEST!
How pretty! It looks so modern and fresh now! Great job and I love the fabric!
Looks great! I love spray paint! I am letting my items dry right now I am spray painting.
That looks so beautiful! One day I am going to try my hand at reupholstery. One day.. I'm scared of it but I'm going to try.
– And Shel – – I wanted to stop by to tell you that I'm passing on a Trendy Blog award to you. Stop by to see why and pick it up. 🙂 You rock my friend!!
I voted for you!! Good luck! 🙂
I love that fabric and the black frame looks fantastic with it.
Beautiful. I want to find a chair and try this. I love the fabric and it goes so well the black paint.
The rocker is gorgeous, what a wonderful job she did! I'm off to vote for you!! GOOD LUCK, you deserve this!
I got a blogger award today and I've passed it on to you 🙂
Come check it out when you get a sec 🙂
wow, that's beautiful! What a transformation. Thanks so much to both of you, I'll be linking.