Winter Wonderland Lamp Makeover Story…
Sleigh bells ring, are you listening,
In the lane, snow is glistening
A beautiful sight,
We’re happy tonight.
Walking in a winter wonderland.
I know. It’s August. Why in the world am I thinking winter? Well, I love a good DIY challenge! And thinking about December in August is a challenge, isn’t it? Besides, when August temps are high, it’s the only time I’m wishing for snow.
HomeTalk and Lamps Plus are hosting a Holiday Design Contest and I’m excited to be participating! What is HomeTalk? A fun community based around all things “home” and Lamps Plus is an awesome source for lighting – what a great team!
I Spy Winter Wonderland Lamp Tutorial:
- assorted small white accessories from around the house. Mine include Christmas bulbs, snowflake ornaments, a white owl, ceramic angel, seashells, small white feathers, stars, mask, organza butterfly, nesting dolls, poker chips, chess pieces, faux dahlia, pearls, etc.
- paper doilies
- Martha Stewart Decoupage Multiple Surface Durable Matte Finish
- craft chip brush
Working quickly and in small sections, apply decoupage to lamps shade with a soft bristle chip brush.
Apply decoupage to the back side of the paper doily.
Place paper doily onto the freshly brushed decoupage on the lampshade.
Apply a coat of decoupage to the paper doily and surrounding area.
Repeat steps above for all paper doilies, staggering the designs.
Attach lampshade to lamp and give entire lampshade one to two top coats of decoupage, allowing 1-2 hours of dry time between each coat. Let dry.
Filling the Lamp:
Filling the lamp is super easy: Unscrew the wing nut on the bottom of the fillable lamp to separate the bottom piece. Carefully fill the lamp with baubles. In my case, it was my white “I spy” collection from around the house. At the bottom of my lamp, I added a little bit of old tissue paper to act as a cushion. When full, replace the the base and secure with the wing nut.
Attach lamp shade.
Hot cocoa, a warm throw, cozy fire, holiday music and dreaming of a white Christmas…
What I love about my “I spy winter wonderland lamp”:
- I love that while my lamp definitely has a winter wonderland vibe, it’s a subtle enough style to display all year long since it doesn’t scream “HO-HO-HO! Merry Christmas!”
- Great for a winter decorated side table or vignette to coordinate with any holiday theme or color scheme. White goes with everything!
- Perfect for a guest room night stand…who needs to count sheep when you can hunt for treasures?
- And a fun quick “I spy” game and conversation starter for guests in the living room.
- Easily refillable for a new look.
Thanks to HomeTalk and Lamps Plus for inviting me to participate in this fun Holiday Design Challenge!
See more fun fillable lamp makeovers at HomeTalk by searching “LampsPlus”.
*LampsPlus supplied the lamp for this project. All thoughts, opinions and project tutorial are 100% in my own words.